When I quilt I mostly do straight lines. Or not so straight lines whatever way you want to look at it. Sometimes I do lots and lots of straight lines like this one and sometimes if I can get away with it less like this one and this one. I like straight line quilting a lot. But this weekend I've been doing a lot of zig zag quilting like this on my new niece's quilt:
And this on a cushion for her older sister:
And I even branched out and tried it using variegated thread on my bathmat from the Fat Quarterly workshop I did back in August at Festival of Quilts *:
* Note to self: your machine does not like variegated thread and it especially does not like doing zig zag quilting with a towel for backing using variegated thread. And you are lazy and do not like using your unpicker (especially when the backing is towelling)
Tuesday, 7 February 2012
My plans for January went well so I thought I would do it again for this month. I have tried to be realistic as I am away for a bit and I tend to find other things not on the list that I want to do during the month too.
The one thing I really need to finish this month is my pouch for the Mouthy Stitches swap. I have been stalking my partner and have designed the pouch. But I had never sewn a zip before so I made these two practice pouches. I would prefer if the zip bits weren't as bulky but overall I am pleased with how they turned out.
Wednesday, 1 February 2012
Back here I made a few plans for January's sewing. Here's how i got on:
1. Quilt top for new niece - she finally arrived hurrah! I went with all the advice from this post and added another 3 blocks.
2. Cushions for older niece and nephew - erm nothing to see here, move along now!
3. Quilt top from Hushabye fabric - I finally cut into my huge collection of this. I have plans for the rest including the Swoon-along but for January I just sewed a bunch of squares together for a lap quilt. Not loving that my eyes are drawn to the brown but I don't care enough to unpick so I might applique something onto it.
This is my Year of the Stash project for January and I am linking up to Slash the Stash with
From the Blue Chair
4. Bathmat - erm I have the backing now - does that count as progress?
5. Cushions from leftover HST from this quilt - done
6. 4 hexagon flowers - done but no photo!
7. 9 patches - all cut but still 15 to sew together
8. Fresh Modern Bee 2 Quilt - I decided to add one further border to this and am definitely happy that this is big enough now!
Linking up with Fresh Sewing Day on Lilys Quilts.
And Work in Progress Wednesdays