Saturday 14 January 2012

Swaps & Quilt-alongs

I decided not to join another Bee this year when the two I was in finished.  I wanted to spend more time sewing and quilting stuff for me (selfish aren't I?).  But I missed the Flickr interaction of a Bee so I appear to have ended up signing up for 2 quiltalongs and a swap and we are only half way into January!


Quilt-along number 1 is the Swoon-along started by Katy.  







This is a huge 80 x 80 quilt using the Swoon pattern from Camille Roskelley.  I have had the pattern for ages but havent' started it!  I am going to use some of this huge Hushabye stack and some Kona Stone but I will definitely be doing this one at a slow pace.


Quilt-along number 2 is Made in Cherry started by Pins and Bobbins 



pins & bobbins



This one uses the free Made in Cherry pattern by Sarah Fielke.  I think I am going to use my Amy Butler Love scraps and Kona Charcoal for the solid.


And the swap is Mouthy Stitches run by Susan, Hadley and Cindy where we will be making zippy pouches for our partners.  


Mouthy Stitches


I signed up for this because I have never sewn a zip.  Now that probably doesn't make me the best candidate for this swap and I almost didn't sign up. And several times I have drafted an email to a Swap Mama to back out.  I am really nervous about sewing zips and pouches but I really want to learn how to do them and thought this should make me do it.  And hopefully I can make an ok pouch and my swap partner won't hate me for never having made one before.  And now I've blogged it I am going to have to do it!


This is my inspiration mosaic for my partner:


Mouthy Stitches Inspiration Mosaic


And finally if you haven't already done so pop over to this post and enter my giveaway for a Hushabye Charm pack, it finishes tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. Re Mouthy Stitches Swap - so glad you didn't back out. Seems to be a lot o us who are new or not confident with zips (me included). What better way to motivate ourselves to give it a go and conquer our fears, and we do seem to be a fun and hopefully forgiving lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't confident but having made a few pouches I feel much happier - you will be fine! Stay in the swap and you will see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go the zip! I made my first zip pouch usin tutorial by Flossieteacakes and it worked fine. Have you chosen a pattern? D x

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad to hear you have joined mouthy stitches. I sewed my first zipper last year and havn't looked back: you will be fine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you didn't back out as zip pouches are really easy (and addictive) once you make your first one.

    An Amy Butler Love Made in Cherry quilt sounds great, so I'm looking forward to see how that turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did a tutorial on a zippy pouch with LOADS of pics in it over here if that helps you: http://sewhappygeek.co.uk/index.php/2011/10/27/guest-tutorial-katys-pocketed-cosmetic-bag/ It has inner and outer zips.

    Have fun with your QALs :o)

    ReplyDelete