Saturday 22 April 2017

KNIT




I think I must be the only person who is secretly pleased that the weather hasn't completely warmed up so that Thomas may get a little bit of wear out of these.  I'm not a seasonal knitter.  I knit as and when - that could be summer or winter meaning I often finish items at the wrong time of year.  I wrote in my last post that there were lots of things I made that I've never recorded here so this is a little catch up together with some musings on knitting.



I learnt to knit when I was at primary school and I still remember the teacher who called us all Miss Tight Boots as our knitting was always too tight.  The wool was red and scratchy and I made a scarf that never got worn!  Then when I was pregnant with my first baby I developed an overwhelming urge to knit all the tiny baby things.  I managed a few little baby hats for James before he was born and a few bigger toddler ones since.  The teal green one below was a pattern from the lovely Nat.



I've had my fair share of disastrous knitting projects too.  I spent an Easter at home at my parents being so chuffed at all the free childcare help which gave me free time to knit James what I thought was a lovely jumper.  I sewed it all up and went to try it on and it wouldn't go over his head, not even close.  Everyone thought it was hilarious but I was gutted.  I ended up leaving it behind with Mum who cleverly added some buttons so we could get it over his (not that large) head!


A second pregnancy meant I wanted to knit all the tiny baby things again and this time I had progressed to tiny cardigans and bootees.







Thomas was tiny and his wardrobe of beautifully knitted cardigans was way to big for him at first and I was desperate for him to grow to fit into them before the weather got too warm.


Like my addiction to most crafts, my rediscovery of knitting was fuelled by the beautiful materials you can now buy to create with.  The huge selection and beautiful colours of modern wools are a long way from my first itchy scarlet red scarf.





Just recently I've been knitting a little more again.  Just simple patterns.  A little at a time.  Much has been written about the therapeutic benefits of craft and knitting in particular.  The soothing repetitive nature of easy knit and purl is calming.  It requires just enough concentration to occupy my mind and stop it wondering onto things it doesn't need to worry about right now but not so much so as to tire it out.  It also provides the perfect portable distraction for all the waiting I do for appointments.  And then after a while you have a beautiful handmade object to keep or gift.  



No comments:

Post a Comment