Friday 15 May 2015

Rachel's Giant Purple Quilt



This is the biggest quilt I have ever (and for the record will ever) make!  It is a very late 30th birthday present for my very patient sister.

I started it back here in July 2012 with this lovely stack of fabrics. 

Fabrics for my sister's quilt



And then I stalled.  In my defence I had got pregnant and then I had a baby and then I went back to work and then I ran out of excuses.  

Rachel has a king size bed so  this was going to need to be a big quilt so I decided to try Quilt As You Go.  And my verdict?  Well the positive is that it gave a beautiful finish to each block and made it look heavily quilted without the need to push an enormous quilt through the machine.  But the downside is it is hugely repetitive and just a little bit boring!  Luckily I loved these fabrics so they maintained my interest which is a good thing seeing as how long I spent working on this! 

Luckily she loves it!



This is my link up post for the Blogger's Quilt Festival Spring 2015 with Amy's Creative Side
Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts and
Thank Goodness it's Finished Friday

8 comments:

  1. What a labor of love and better late than never! I have been quilting for 20 years and still have not finished the first quilt I started. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure your sister thinks it's been worth the wait for such a very pretty quilt. You and some good excuses for the delay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew! A king-sized QAYG... that's dedication! I hope your sister loves it and appreciates all your hard work. It's a lovely finish. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done for getting it finished, having something on the go for so long can be really draining!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! So pleased for you to finally have it finished! Very special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely finish... and I just love your colour combo! It certainly looks huge, QAYG was a good way to get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous quilt! Definitely a labor of love.:)

    ReplyDelete